Gulzar Naik, Mudasir Rashid, Balkhi MH and Bhat FA
In this paper, we studied the food and feeding habits of exotic Cyprinus carpio Var. communis. The results obtained by analysing the gut contents of common carp showed that on an average basis, detritus formed 43.5% of total food, while the remaining food (56.5%) consisted of plant (31.21%) and animal matter (25.29%). The fish was designated as detri-omnivore with bottom feeding habit. Gastroosmatic index (Ga.S.I.) recorded its highest value during July (6.28), while lowest value was recorded in February (3.34).The index remained generally high during the warmer months, followed by a gradual decline with the approach of winter. On comparing, food and feeding habits and Ga.S.I. of exotic common carp with that of endemic schizothoracines was found almost similar and there might be existing a feeding competition between them, which might be one of the cause that declined endemic schizothoracine fish production from Dal Lake of Kashmir valley.